United Way of Wayne County is holding its annual community-wide volunteering event, Day of Action. Day of Action is a day dedicated to engaging volunteers to serve on projects that benefit the community that is held on June 21 each year. This year, United Way of Wayne County is collaborating with several local nonprofit agencies to complete day projects with the help of local businesses, civic groups, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, and County and City residents.
The list of projects is as follows:
• Sound the Alarm is an installation of free smoke detectors in selected neighborhoods.
• Playground Update is a project to update the community playground of Hydrant Church.
• Museum Beautification is a yardwork project for Wayne County Museum.
• Music Alley refresh is a project to freshen up the Music Alley on John St.
• Wheelchair Ramp building is a project to build two wheelchair ramps.
• Bunny Loveys is a sewing project with the public library. Bunny Loveys are included in the literacy bags given to newborns at UNC Health Wayne. Volunteers can sew Bunny Loveys on June 21 or on their own time and can pick up fabrics at the Goldsboro branch of the library.
• Totes of Hope is assembling and distributing personal care items to homeless vets.
Donations of new and unopened personal items are needed for Tote of Hope and are listed as follows: Socks (men sizes 9-11), Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Dental Floss, Mouthwash (travel size),3-1 Body Disposable, Razors, After Shave Lotion, Deodorant, Combs/Brush, Lip Balm, Nail Clippers, Adhesive Bandages, Sewing Kits, Flashlight/Batteries, Rain Poncho, and Pens.
The United Way Day of Action projects will be held in different locations in Wayne County and will begin at 8 am. Volunteers and donors are needed and United Way of Wayne County invites local businesses, civic groups, government/nonprofit agencies, and individuals to participate as volunteers or donors. Parties can register at https://www.unitedwayne.org/projects-2-1 and click on the project they are interested in. Some restrictions apply.