The Wayne County Museum building was recently honored by being placed on The National Register of Historic Places. The building was constructed in 1927 by the Goldsboro Woman’s Club and served as a clubhouse for the organization and as USO headquarters during WWII.
The Register is the nation’s official list of buildings, objects, sites, and districts deemed worthy of preservation for their significance in American history.
The Jeffersonian Revival Style Museum building was judged as significant as an important example of period architecture, and for its association with important events in women’s cultural history.
The property meets nomination criteria by retaining enough of its original physical characteristics to represent its historic period. This new Registry designation will allow opportunities for support with preservation, tourism, education, and funding benefits for the Museum building.