Households in Wayne County with a person 60 or older or someone receiving disability benefits and services through the N.C. Division of Aging and Adult Services can apply for help covering the cost of heating their homes starting Wednesday, December 1, 2021. If your household meets the above criteria, currently receives Food and Nutrition Services and received LIEAP last year, you may qualify to receive an Automated Payment this year. Eligible households will be notified in November and do not need to apply. All other households can apply from Monday, January 3, 2022, through Thursday, March 31, 2022, or until funds are exhausted.
The federally funded Low-Income Energy Assistance Program provides eligible households with a one-time payment to their heating vendor to offset the high cost of heating during the cold-weather months. Depending on the household’s primary heating source, the payment will be $300, $400, or $500.
To be eligible, a person must:
- Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets eligibility criteria
- Have income equal to or less than 130 percent of the federal poverty limit, such as:
- For a household of one, a monthly income of $1,395 or less
- For a family of four, a monthly income of $2,871 or less
- Have resources, such as saving and checking accounts, cash on hand, at or below $2,250
- Be responsible for their heating cost
Due to the current pandemic, applicants are not required to complete applications in the office nor have a face-to-face interview. All completed applications will require an interview; however, this interview can be conducted by telephone. Wayne County households who want to apply for energy assistance can do so by the following ways:
- Pick up an application at 100 S James St, Goldsboro or;
- Access applications online via https://epass.nc.gov or www.waynegov.com or;
- Contact the agency at 919-731-1577 to complete a telephone interview and/or have an application mailed to them
Completed applications may be submitted as follows:
- Mailed to or placed in the drop box located at Wayne County DSS, 100 S James St, Goldsboro, NC 27530 or;
- Faxed to 919-731-1106 or;
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the Low-Income Energy Assistance program, go to https://www.ncdhhs.gov/assistance/low-income-services/low-income-energy-assistance.