(GDN) — It’s the largest unrestricted gift in Wayne Community College’s history.
The estate of Williams S. “Bill” and Melda B. Lamm has left over $1 million to the Foundation of Wayne Community College.
The Lamms’ nephew Don Pittman made the announcement Tuesday at WCC.
Mark Hale, the attorney for the Lamm estate, says the couple left equal funds for five charities:
- Foundation of Wayne Community College
- Lenoir Community College Foundation
- Madison Avenue Baptist Church in Goldsboro
- First Baptist Church of Kinston
- Salvation Army
The total gift from the Lamm estate to the Foundation comes to $1,059,177.70.
Bill Lamm served as a member of the WCC Foundation Board of Directors from 2008 to 2017. He and his wife were sponsors of the Foundation’s fund-raising golf tournament for years and Bill regularly played in the tournament.
The couple also backed the Foundation’s Arts and Humanities program that provides a variety of cultural experiences and they attended events the program furnished.
About the Lamms
The Lamms were Wilson County natives. Bill died in 2020 and was followed this year by Melda. Both were 91 at the time of their passing. They were married for almost 70 years.
Melda was graduated from the Carolina General School of Nursing in Wilson as a registered nurse and worked at Cherry Hospital for 31 years.
Both Melda and Bill were active members of Madison Avenue Baptist Church in Goldsboro. She served as nursery director for many years and on many committees. He was a Deacon and Sunday School Committee member.
Bill served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II and was stationed in Japan.
He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Agromony from the College of Agriculture and Life Science (CALS) at North Carolina State University in 1953 and was awarded a Master’s Degree in Adult Education from NCSU in 1964.
He was an avid Wolfpack fan and a lifelong member of the Wolfpack Club. Bill served as a board member and president of the NCSU Alumni Association and a member of the NCSU Chancellor’s Circle. The couple were supporters of the JC Raulston Arboretum at the university.
He served on the NCSU CALS Alumni and Friends Society board. Bill and Melda established an endowment awarding scholarships to CALS students in agronomy and traditional agriculture programs.
Bill started his career in Wayne County in 1953 with the Agriculture Extension Service for North Carolina State University, working as a 4-H agent. From 1954 through 1973 he served as the Wayne County Agriculture Extension Tobacco Agent. He worked as the Lenoir County Extension Director from 1973 until 1984, when he retired with 31 years of service to the agency.
His work in agriculture continued with stints as an agronomist with the North Carolina
Department of Agriculture, an agricultural consultant and sales representative for several companies, and a member of the Advisory Board for the Lenoir County Agriculture Extension Service Advisory Board.
Bill organized the Wayne County Young Farmers Organization and was instrumental in the organization of the North Carolina Tobacco Growers Association and the Annual North Carolina Young Farmers Forum. He was a member of the board of directors for the Tobacco Farm Life Museum in Kenly.
In 2008, Bill was honored for his outstanding contributions to agriculture with the Excellence in Agriculture Award from the Tobacco Farm Life Museum and induction into the Wayne County Agricultural Hall of Fame