(GDN) — Students and staff at Wayne County Public Schools are getting an extended weekend.
However, the district had to get creative to make today’s “Wellness Day” possible.
WCPS Superintendent Dr. David Lewis explained to the school board last week there were legal issues from the State Board of Education to work around in order to give everyone the extra day off:
- November 12th is considered a Remote Work Day for Licensed Professional Staff with the expectation they will use the day to reflect on their practice.
- November 12th is a Closed Day for all Classified Staff, meaning they will not work or be paid for the day off.
Staff will receive the following retention bonuses in their December paycheck following the extra day off:
- A $100 retention bonus for all Licensed Professional Staff
- A $150 retention bonus for Classified Staff who work fewer than 20 hours per week
- A $300 retention bonus for Classified Staff who work 20 or more hours per week
Wayne County Public Schools were closed on Thursday for Veterans Day.
The additional day off today gives WCPS students and staff a four day weekend.