MURDER SUSPECT- SEARCH
Man wanted for murders in two North Carolina cities
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — Police are looking for a man wanted for homicides in two North Carolina cities over three days, warning that he should be considered armed and extremely dangerous. A news release from the Greensboro Police Department says 29-year-old Malek Anthony Moore is wanted for first-degree murder in the death of 21-year-old Christian Mbimba of Nashville, Tennessee, on Sept. 3 in Greensboro. Police officers found Mbimba’s body in the street. The news release also says Moore is wanted for first-degree murder in connection with a death in Charlotte on Monday.
EX-ARMY CAPTAIN-CONFLICT CHARGE
Ex-Army captain pleads guilty to aiding wife’s Army business
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Federal authorities say a former Army captain has pleaded guilty to charges that he helped his wife’s business with Army contracts. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina says in a news release that 33-year-old John Raymond Meier, who served at Fort Bragg, helped his wife sell a variety of items to the Army. In court, the government described how Meier provided his wife with quotes from other vendors to assure she would submit a lower quote and obtain the Army’s business. Meier faces a maximum sentence of five years’ in prison and a $250,000 fine.
HUMAN TRAFFICKING-MAN SENTENCED
North Carolina man gets 13 years for human trafficking
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A federal judge has sentenced a North Carolina man to 13 years in prison for sex trafficking of a minor and for aiding and abetting. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Antoine Lamar Wallace of Garner was sentenced on Wednesday in Raleigh. According to court records and evidence presented at a co-defendant’s trial, Wallace prostituted women between November 2014 and October 2015, including minors. Prosecutors say that after luring the victims with promises of food and shelter, Wallace and his co-defendant isolated and abused the victims and kept all the money the victims earned.
Biden OK’s North Carolina’s disaster request from Storm Fred
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — President Joe Biden has approved a request for federal funds to be made available to residents of western North Carolina who saw major flooding last month due to Tropical Storm Fred. Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper sought the emergency declaration for federal assistance to seven counties nearly two weeks ago. Six people died from the storm in Haywood County. Fred also caused major damage to more than 200 homes and an additional $19 million in estimated damage to public infrastructure. The Cruso community was among the hardest hit by the flooding.
Sleeping toddler killed after 150 rounds fired into home
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Police say gunmen unloaded 150 rounds into a Charlotte home, killing a sleeping 3-year-old boy. The boy became the latest victim of a deadly string of shootings that authorities on Wednesday said are tied to “simple disputes” between students at local high schools. Asiah Figueroa was killed and his 4-year-old sister wounded when people in multiple vehicles opened fire on the house. His sister is expected to survive. Capt. Joel McNelly says it’s the latest in a string of shootings targeting homes that began Saturday with a shooting that killed one teen and wounded two others. McNelly specifically called on parents of high school students to help identify the shooters.
North Carolina man charged in fatal shooting of 23-month-old
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Police in North Carolina have arrested a man in the shooting death last month of a 23-month-old child. Winston-Salem police say 19-year-old Rico Monta Smith III, who turned himself in on Tuesday, is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of Deon Stover. According to a news release, Smith and his girlfriend were babysitting Deon when Smith attempted to unload a handgun. Police said the handgun went off and struck the toddler. The child died at a local hospital. Smith is being held on a $15,000 bond, and it’s not known if he has an attorney.
Father drowns trying to save son at North Carolina beach
WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, N.C. (AP) — Police in North Carolina say a father has drowned after trying to save his son from a strong current. along a beach. A news release from the Wrightsville Beach Police Department says Bhou Soutthivong and his family were visiting from Hickory and were fishing on Sept. 4. Police said Soutthivong’s son went swimming and was being pulled away from the shore by the current. Police says Soutthivong tried to help his son and also was pulled out from shore. The son was rescued, but Soutthivong was pulled out of the water and pronounced dead despite attempts by emergency personnel to revive him.
Man arrested on indecent liberties charges from 1970s
SELMA, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have arrested a North Carolina man after he was indicted on charges of taking indecent liberties with a family member in the 1970s. The News & Observer of Raleigh reports 74-year-old David Ricky Godwin Sr. of Selma was taken into custody on Wednesday by detectives with the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office. A news release from the sheriff’s office says Godwin was indicted after an 11-month investigation. Authorities allege Godwin took indecent liberties with a family member under age 13 between 1972 and 1977. He is jailed under a $5 million secured bail.
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.