Wayne Community College will be on the cutting edge of artificial intelligence and robotics training.
The local college will begin offering an AI and Automation Program in the fall.
WCC will have the only AI program in the N.C. Community College System when the fall semester begins.
The announcement is especially timely as Apple plans to invest $1 billion and hire 3,000 employees for its new Triangle area facility.
Glenn Royster, Information Systems Technology Department Chair at WCC, says the college saw AI as a growing field with an increasing demand for programmers.
Royster says artificial intelligence teaches computers to learn and behave similar to a human.
The more data you feed a machine, the more the machine will be able to do.
Royster says AI may be new to the average person, but the technology has been in development for decades.
Cynthia Kaye, Emerging Technology Instructor at WCC, says Artificial Intelligence is a powerful tool that will grow in importance in the years to come.
She says AI can be used to program the automation/robotics that you might find in a factory.
Kaye says a strong understanding of mathematics, especially higher mathematics, will be critical for those interested in the AI and automation fields.
Students can earn these degrees and certificates through WCC’s program:
- Artificial Intelligence and Automation Programming Degree
- Artificial Intelligence and Automation Programming Certificate
- Artificial Intelligence Certificate
- Chatbot Development Certificate
- Java Programming for AI Certificate
- Machine Learning Certificate
- Math Foundations for AI Certificate
- Python Programming for AI Certificate