Wayne Community College’s Workforce Continuing Education Division will explore six subjects during its Junior Bison Camps this summer.
The youth day camps are returning to the college’s campus after a hiatus last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Workforce Continuing Education is honored to serve our Junior Bison face-to-face this year,” said Coordinator Lisa D. Newkirk. “Although we are resuming on a smaller scale, our goals remain the same. Our main focus is career exploration structured in a fun and learning environment.”
Attendance at all of the camps is capped at 10 and campers will be required to wear masks, in line with other COVID-19 restrictions in place at the college.
The camps that will be offered this year are:
- Allied Health Career Exploration Camp – June 21-24: 9 a.m.-noon for rising sixth-eighth graders and 1-4 p.m. for rising ninth-12th graders. – These camps will provide a general overview of the allied health career field. Campers also will receive a first aid and CPR training. Cost: $60.
- Automotive Academy – June 21-24: 9 a.m.-noon for rising ninth-12th graders. Campers will learn about basic automotive painting and refinishing. They will get to see what it takes to make repairs to the exterior of a vehicle as well as take part in hands-on activities. Cost: $80.
- Business Career Exploration – July 12-15: 9 a.m.-noon for rising sixth-eighth graders and 1-4 p.m. for rising ninth-12th graders. Campers will learn how money works and what it takes to work in business. They will get hands-on experience with a chance to create their own businesses and design a logo. Cost: $60.
- Sew and Stitch Camp – July 12-15: 9 a.m.-noon for rising ninth-12th graders and 1-4 p.m. for rising sixth-eighth graders. This camp will introduce basic sewing techniques, basic sewing machine operations, and much more while challenging campers to create a final project to display. Cost: $60.
- STEM Gardening Camp – June 21-July 1: 9 a.m.-noon for rising sixth-eight graders. This two-week, hands-on camp will allow participants to learn the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math used in gardening. They will explore the magic of square foot gardening and get experience designing and building raised garden beds while developing their green thumbs. Cost: $100.
- Video Game Academy – June 21-24: 9 a.m.-noon for rising sixth-eighth graders and 1-4 p.m. for rising ninth-12th graders. This academy introduces the various aspects of simulation and game development. Campers will engage in 3D modeling, bug testing video games, creating video games, storyboarding, and animation. Campers will have fun and gain valuable hands-on experience designing and producing game artifacts they can share with family and friends. Cost: $80.
Registration forms and instructions for the registration process can be found at www.waynecc.edu/camps. Registration can also be completed at the Workforce Continuing Education Customer Service Desk at the east entrance of the Walnut Building.
Contact Workforce Continuing Education Coordinator Lisa Newkirk at 919-739-6931 firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.