On Monday, April 12, Wayne County Public Schools kicked off its online Kindergarten Pre-Registration. Parents and guardians can access the Kindergarten Pre-Registration form at the district’s website, http://www.waynecountyschools.org/, by clicking on “Kindergarten Registration” located under the Academics tab.
“Although many things within our world have changed, our dedication and love for serving children and families have not,” states Karen Wellington Whichard, WCPS Early Education Coordinator. “Wayne County Public Schools looks forward to seeing our newest students registered for the fall as families take this important step towards helping their child reach this upcoming academic milestone.”
Because of the current COVID-19 safety protocols, no school tours are being scheduled at this time to help limit the number of visitors inside of school buildings. All elementary schools are providing drive-up opportunities for parents who need online assistance or who need extra guidance with completing a form.
“Initially, we had planned for a drive-up day for this Wednesday, April 14, when elementary schools were operating in Plan B and Wednesday was a remote day,” adds Mrs. Wellington Whichard. “To continue providing support to families who need some additional assistance with online registration, they are still welcome to go to the elementary school where their child is in district this Wednesday or they can contact the school directly to schedule a time that may be more convenient.”
Here are a few reminders for parents and guardians:
- The North Carolina kindergarten entry age is 5 years old and a child must be 5 years old by August 31, 2021 to enroll in the upcoming school year.
- Copies of the child’s birth certificate and shot records must be provided.
- Printable forms are available at http://www.waynecountyschools.org/ if needed.
- Verification of address must be provided (e.g. lease agreements, utility bills, etc.)
- If there are special circumstances or questions, parents/guardians are encouraged to contact the school’s data manager for guidance on how to proceed.