The world is full of negative news and United Way of Wayne County would like to highlight the good that happens when our community pulls together. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the good happening in Wayne County, but United Way hopes it serves to remind us that there is always good. The goal is to make it easier to see the good. To continue this effort, United Way of Wayne County asks that organizations continue to share what they are doing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 919-735-3591. See below for today’s good deed report.
- May 20th The Bridge fed lunch to the 300 correctional officers at Neuse Correctional.
- May 20th Judah Arts and Worship Center provided free “Creativity in COVIDity” healing art boxes and masks to families.
- May 21st Deeper Life Church ministries distributed 100 baskets to seniors containing cleaning supplies, paper products and reusable masks.
- Two Sundays a month The Bridge serves lunch at the Community Soup Kitchen site and at Fordham House.
- Community Crisis Center, located at 607 S. Slocumb Street in Goldsboro, serves lunch Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:00-2:15. They also offer a food pantry and hygiene bags from 12:30-3 pm.
- Every Monday at 10:00 A.M. June-August the Three in One Family Center will be distributing boxes of vegetables near the Farm Credit Farmers Market at the Maxwell Center.
- ECA Town and Country Group donated 80+ face masks to be distributed to organizations in the community.
- 4th Medical Group at SJAFB collected food donations to be distributed to organizations throughout the community.
- Last week Chicago Bulls point guard Alec Jacoby “Coby” White provided dinner for the night shift at Wayne UNC Health Care.
- Wayne Community College is offering four 4-week Google Meet classes at no cost to the community. Visit the college’s website for more information.
- Wise Guys is offering a free, online summer program on Teen Male Healthy Relationships. Visit chsnc.com/wiseguys for more information.
Opportunities to Do a Good Deed:
- Donors can text “helpaneighbor” to 44-321 to contribute to United Way of Wayne County’s Disaster Relief Fund.
- Day of Action is coming soon! We will be collecting reusable masks and personal hygiene kits as well as asking interested program participants to adopt a senior buddy.
- United Way of Wayne County is seeking volunteers to deliver signs to 7 schools in the county for Park & Learn opportunities. Great project for Scout Troops or family outing.
- Sydney’s Book Club is looking for readers, social media gurus, graphic designers, writers and researchers. Email email@example.com to express interest.
- The Salvation Army needs volunteers to help with stocking their Food Pantry shelves. Interested volunteers can message them on Facebook, email Captain Sherrie Stokes at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-735-4811.
- Child care centers have an urgent need for cleaning supplies, masks and scan thermometers. Please take donations to the bins in front of The Partnership for Children located at 800 N. William Street in Goldsboro.
- Summer Flowers is leading a volunteer team in creating headbands with buttons for hospital staff. This style of headband allows masks to be attached by the buttons and saves strain on the ears. If you would like to donate material or buttons please contact email@example.com.
- Homefront Room Revival is making masks for airmen. If you have a sewing machine they can borrow or if you’d like to donate supplies to them, please contact Kate Tinsley firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4-Day Movement is collecting canned vegetables and fruit, canned chili, canned ravioli and spaghetti, rice, bottled water, boxed milk and 15 or 16-quart clear plastic boxes. These items are used in their “Food with Favor Boxes”. Donations can be dropped off at Barnes Jewelers (502 B. Eastgate Drive Goldsboro) 11:30AM-3:30PM Monday-Friday.
- You can donate a loaf of bread through Great Harvest Bread to be used to make sandwiches for school kids and others in need. Loaves are a flat $6 and can be purchased over the phone 919-288-2401 or online under the Breads section: http://goldsboronc.greatharvestbread.com/.
- Wayne Pregnancy Center is seeking donations of baby supplies and formula in addition to full-sized toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Please call 919- 583-9330 Monday-Thursday 9-5 and Friday 9-12.
- Nonperishable food donations and personal hygiene items are needed by the Salvation Army located at 610 N. William St in Goldsboro during their hours of operation.
- Nonperishable food, fruit, snacks, bottled water, Ziploc bags, disposable takeout containers, face masks and hygiene kits are needed by the Community Soup Kitchen at 112 W. Oak Street during their hours of operation.
- 3HC needs sanitizing wipes, gloves and masks. Please contact email@example.com if you are able to donate.
- Boys & Girls Club of Wayne County is making weekly grab and go activity kits for their members. Donations are being accepted. Please call 919-735-2358 to find out what materials are needed each week and arrange a drop-off.
Community Partner Updates:
- 2-1-1 is a reliable resource to connect residents to social services. It is also the number to call for assistance and resources related to the COVID-19 coronavirus. NC residents can text COVIDNC to 898211 to receive general information and updates about COVID-19.