The world is full of negative news and United Way of Wayne County would like to highlight the good that happens when our community pulls together. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the good happening in Wayne County, but United Way hopes serves to remind us that there is always good going on. The goal is to make it easier for us to see the good. To continue this effort, organizations can share what they are doing with by emailing email@example.com or calling 919-735-3591. See below for today’s good deed report.
- Franklin Bread Company donated loaves of bread to 4 Day Movement. They were able to distribute the bread and share with Community Soup Kitchen.
- Vailhouse Oyster Bar and Grille and P.T.’s Old Fashioned Grill made bagged lunches for the Community Soup Kitchen
- Pine Forest United Methodist Church held a drive for the Community Soup Kitchen.
- Sydney’s Book Club provided the Housing Authority of the City of Goldsboro with 400 books to distribute to children living in their properties.
- Starbucks donated pastries to Wayne UNC Healthcare and is providing free coffee to medical workers.
- Homefront Room Revival is sewing fabric masks for healthcare workers.
- The Sheetz in Rosewood (2829 US HWY 70 W. Goldsboro) is providing free bagged kids meals all day, while supplies last. Meals include a turkey sandwich, chips and a drink. Families should ask an employee at the register for the meal.
- Goldsboro firefighters are sharing videos of them reading stories on Facebook. They hope to continue reading stories and expand the program to include skits and general fire safety education tips.
- The City of Goldsboro will light the Holly Street Water Tower during the COVID-19 State of Emergency as a symbol of hope.
- An anonymous “good deed doer” decorated the windows at Eagle’s Pointe assisted living facility.
- Rebuilding Broken Places continues to feed 300+ children each weekday with the help of the Housing Authority.
- Wayne County Public Schools continues to operate 10 feeding sites Monday-Friday. Over 43,324 meals have been served. They Goldsboro Family YMCA continues to serve as the transportation partners.
Opportunities to Do a Good Deed:
- We are looking for businesses and organizations who are willing to serve as “WiFi Sponsors”. This means you will allow students without Internet access at home to park and learn in your lot via your Wi-Fi connection. We are trying to find Wi-Fi___33 for students in ALL areas of the county. Sign up by completing this form: https://forms.gle/SFDXD1PKRei9jzxM7. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- United Way of North Carolina activated the UWHELPSNC COVID-19 fund. This statewide fund will be distributed to local United Ways and will increase their capacity to meet basic needs. Please choose “UW of Wayne County” when you make your donation. The link to donate is: https://app.mobilecause.com/form/On0MvA?vid=631to The link is also available at unitedwayne.org and on the United Way of Wayne County NC Facebook page.
- Child care centers have an urgent need for scan thermometers. They CAN accept used scan thermometers. Please take donations to the bins in front of The Partnership for Children located at 800 N. William Street in Goldsboro. If you have a lead on in stock thermometers please call 919-735-3371.
- The Governor is asking for healthcare professionals who can volunteer to sign-up here: https://terms.ncem.org/TRS/
- Share your story of how COVID-19 has impacted child care in your life with our policymakers:zerotothree.org/coronavirusstories.
- 4-Day Movement is collecting canned vegetables and fruit, canned chili, canned ravioli and spaghetti, rice, bottled water, boxed milk and 15 or16 quart clear plastic boxes. These items are used in the their “Food with Favor Boxes”. Donations can be dropped off at Barnes Jewelers (502 B. Eastgate Drive Goldsboro) between 11:30AM-3:30PM Monday-Friday.
- You can donate a loaf of bread through Great Harvest Bread to be used to make sandwiches for school kids and others in need. Loafs are a flat $6 and can be purchased over the phone 919-288-2401 or online under the Breads section: http://goldsboronc.greatharvestbread.com/
- We are searching for a grocery store that will allow childcare centers to come shop before opening to the public. They are desperately low on whole milk and cannot remain open without it.
- Wayne Pregnancy Center is seeking donations of baby supplies and formula in addition to full sized toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Please call 919-583-9330 Monday-Thursday 9-5 and Friday 9-12.
- Childcares are low on cleaning supplies. Monday-Friday there is a drop-box in front of the Partnership for Children. 800 N. William St Goldsboro.
- Nonperishable food donations and personal hygiene items are continuing to be accepted by the Salvation Army located at 610 N. William St in Goldsboro during their hours of operation.
- Nonperishable food, Ziploc bags and disposable takeout containers are continuing to be accepted by the Community Soup Kitchen at 112 W. Oak Street during their hours of operation.
- 3HC needs sanitizing wipes, gloves and masks. Please contact email@example.com if you are able to donate.
- Boys & Girls Club of Wayne County is making weekly grab and go activity kits for their members. Donations of crayons, markers, pencils and notebooks are being accepted. Please call 919-735-2358 to arrange drop-off.
Community Partner Updates:
- 2-1-1 is a reliable resource to connect residents to social services. It is also the number to call for assistance and resources related to the COVID-19 coronavirus. NC residents can text COVIDNC to 898211 to receive general information and updates about COVID-19.