The world is full of negative news and United Way of Wayne County would like to highlight the good that happens when our community pulls together. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the good happening in Wayne County, but United Way hopes it does serve to remind us that there is always good. The goal is to make it easier for us to see the good. To continue this effort, United Way of Wayne County asks that organizations continue to share what they are doing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 919-735-3591. See below for today’s good deed report.
- May 19th ONE Church, located at 118 S. Berkley Street in Goldsboro, is feeding all personnel from barber shops, salons and nail technicians 10-12.
- May 19th Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, located at 1086 Hwy 111 S., is holding a drive through food box distribution from 5:00-6:30 PM.
- May 19th Cornerstone Church is holding a food bank from 10-12 at the Norwayne Alumni Building on Sycamore Street in Fremont.
- May 15th One Church held a parade in celebration of Hospital Week. (PHOTOS BELOW)
- City of Goldsboro donated masks to Goldsboro Host Lions Club.
- Impact Teens is preparing to shower nursing homes with cards of encouragement.
- Hope for Goldsboro donated lunch to Goldsboro Police Department.
Opportunities to Do a Good Deed:
- Donors can text “helpaneighbor” to 44-321 to contribute to United Way of Wayne County’s Disaster Relief Fund.
- A few weeks ago, Bethel Church donated a bin of snacks to each department and the hospital. The bins now need to be refilled. If you or your organization would like to refill a bin or several please contact email@example.com.
- United Way of Wayne County is seeking volunteers to deliver signs to 7 schools in the county for Park & Learn opportunities. Great project for Scout Troops or family outing.
- Sydney’s Book Club is looking for readers, social media gurus, graphic designers, writers and researchers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest.
- United Way of Wayne County is collecting masks (fabric and disposable) to distribute to requesting organizations. Please drop off at 2803 Cashwell Drive Suite B in Goldsboro.
- Salvation Army needs a few people to help with stocking their Food Pantry shelves. Interested volunteers can message them on Facebook, email Captain Sherrie Stokes at email@example.com or call 919-735-4811.
- Support local artist Duffy Fleming with the purchase of a piece of her 2019 collection and 50% of the sale will go to United Way of Wayne County and Salvation Army. Purchases can be made at: 3flemingos.com.
- Child care centers have an urgent need for cleaning supplies, masks and scan thermometers. Please take donations to the bins in front of The Partnership for Children located at 800 N. William Street in Goldsboro.
- Summer Flowers is leading a volunteer team in creating headbands with buttons for hospital staff. This style of headband allows masks to be attached by the buttons and saves strain on the ears. If you would like to donate material or buttons please firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Homefront Room Revival is making masks for airmen. If you have a sewing machine they can borrow or if you’d like to donate supplies to them, please contact Kate Tinsley email@example.com
- Salvation Army is seeking volunteers to assemble food boxes. Volunteers will work independently and be provided gloves. Please call 919-735-4811 to volunteer.
- The Governor is asking for healthcare professionals who can volunteer to sign-up here: https://terms.ncem.org/TRS/
- 4-Day Movement is collecting canned vegetables and fruit, canned chili, canned ravioli and spaghetti, rice, bottled water, boxed milk and 15 or 16-quart clear plastic boxes. These items are used in their “Food with Favor Boxes”. Donations can be dropped off at Barnes Jewelers (502 B. Eastgate Drive Goldsboro) 11:30AM-3:30PM Monday-Friday.
- You can donate a loaf of bread through Great Harvest Bread to be used to make sandwiches for school kids and others in need. Loaves are a flat $6 and can be purchased over the phone 919-288-2401 or online under the Breads section: http://goldsboronc.greatharvestbread.com/
- Wayne Pregnancy Center is seeking donations of baby supplies and formula in addition to full-sized toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Please call 919-583-9330 Monday-Thursday 9-5 and Friday 9-12.
- Nonperishable food donations and personal hygiene items are needed by the Salvation Army located at 610 N. William St in Goldsboro during their hours of operation.
- Nonperishable food, fruit, snacks, bottled water, Ziploc bags, disposable takeout containers, face masks and hygiene kits are needed by the Community Soup Kitchen at 112 W. Oak Street during their hours of operation.
- 3HC needs sanitizing wipes, gloves and masks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to donate.
- Boys & Girls Club of Wayne County is making weekly grab and go activity kits for their members. Donations are being accepted. Please call 919-735-2358 to find out what materials are needed each week and arrange a drop-off.
Community Partner Updates:
- 2-1-1 is a reliable resource to connect residents to social services. It is also the number to call for assistance and resources related to the COVID-19 coronavirus. NC residents can text COVIDNC to 898211 to receive general information and updates about COVID-19.
- Communities Supporting Schools has transformed their Have a Heart for Kids fundraiser to an online auction June 18th.
United Way and One Church held a cheer parade on May 15 for Wayne UNC Health Care