While the school year and remote learning are winding down for students, some families are looking ahead to next fall when their child begins school for the first time. Wayne County Public Schools has begun its kindergarten registration, which will be an online process for the first time. Parents and guardians can access the registration form at the district’s website, http://www.waynecountyschools.org/, by clicking on “Kindergarten Registration” located under the Academics tab.
For added convenience, elementary schools will hold “Tuesday Drive-Up”, every Tuesday from 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM between now and the end of July for families who want to drop off any printed registration materials. The schools will also have “Thursday On-Site Registration Days” every Thursday between now and the end of July from 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM for families to use school computers to register online if they have unreliable internet at home. Any on-site registration activities will include social distancing and best practices for sanitization between visitors.
“Although many things within our world have changed, our dedication and love for serving children and families have not,” states Karen Wellington, WCPS Early Education Coordinator. “Wayne County Public Schools is excited to welcome families to our newest kindergarten registration platform. Our team has worked to devise both online and limited on-site methods of kindergarten registration to help make this a safe and convenient process for our families.”
Here are a few reminders for parents and guardians:
- The North Carolina kindergarten entry age is 5 years old and a child must be 5 years old by August 31, 2020 to enroll in the upcoming school year.
- Parents and guardians need to provide copies of their child’s birth certificate and shot records.
- Printable forms are available at http://www.waynecountyschools.org/ if needed.
- Please provide verification of address, using lease agreements, utility bills, etc.
- If you have special circumstances or questions, please contact your school’s data manager for guidance on how to proceed.