Wayne County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. James Merrill shared the following memo with WCPS staff on Thursday following Gov. Roy Coopers announcement regarding reopening elementary schools in the state:
Today Governor Cooper announced that public school districts will have the option to move to “Plan A” for grades K-5 as early as October 5. The district administration is analyzing the local implications of such a move. Areas we are looking at include:
- Potential cleaning & supplies inventories needed for schools to operate in “Plan A”
- Uncertainty of how many K-5 students will request to be moved to full virtual and thetimeline needed for parents to request such move.
- Potential impacts to teacher and student schedules
- Implications of spilt (5th grade) grade configurations between elementary and middle schools
- Potential challenges and timeline needed to schedule bus routes in Plan A
- Determining “Plan A” logistics and the timeline needed for potential implementation
The welfare of our students and staff remains paramount for district leadership. We will be working to address questions about these areas as quickly as possible.