The world is full of negative news and United Way of Wayne County would like to highlight the good that happens when our community pulls together. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the good happening in Wayne County, but United Way hopes it serves to remind us that there is always good. The goal is to make it easier for us to see the good. To continue this effort, United Way of Wayne County asks that organizations continue to share what they are doing by emailing [email protected] or calling 919-735-3591. See below for today’s good deed report.
- May 5 from 5-6:45PM Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, located at 1086 Hwy 111 Hwy South in Goldsboro, will host a drive-thru nonperishable food distribution.
- Higher Calling Ministries, located at 600 N. Madison Avenue in Goldsboro, will serve carryout meals every 4th Wednesday from 6-7:30PM.
- Eagle Scout Thomas Sumner installed “thank you” signs at feeding sites and childcare providers around the county. The signs were decorated by Boys & Girls Club students (photo below).
- Great Harvest Bakery donated loaves of bread to You Need Help. They are also offering a free cookie when you donate cleaning supplies to be distributed to local childcare providers.
- Duke Energy donated sanitizer and masks to first responders.
Opportunities to Do a Good Deed:
- United Way of North Carolina activated the UWHELPSNC COVID-19 fund. This statewide fund will be distributed to local United Ways and will increase their capacity to meet basic needs. Please choose “UW of Wayne County” when you make your donation. The link to donate is: https://app.mobilecause.com/form/On0MvA?vid=631to The link is also available at unitedwayne.org and on the United Way of Wayne County NC Facebook page. Donors can also text “helpaneighbor” to 44-321.
- United Way of Wayne County is Seeking volunteers to deliver signs to various areas in the county for Park & Learn opportunities. Great project for Scout Troops or family outing.
- Child care centers have an urgent need for cleaning supplies, masks and scan thermometers. Please take donations to the bins in front of The Partnership for Children located at 800 N. William Street in Goldsboro.
- Summer Flowers is leading a volunteer team in creating headbands with buttons for hospital staff. This style of headband allows masks to be attached by the buttons and saves strain on the ears. If you would like to donate material or buttons please contact[email protected].
- Homefront Room Revival is making masks for airmen. If you have a sewing machine they can borrow or if you’d like to donate supplies to them, please contact Kate Tinsley[email protected]
- Salvation Army is seeking volunteers to assemble food boxes. Volunteers will work independently and be provided gloves. Please call 919-735-4811 to volunteer.
- 4-Day Movement is collecting canned vegetables and fruit, canned chili, canned ravioli and spaghetti, rice, bottled water, boxed milk and 15 or 16-quart clear plastic boxes. These items are used in their “Food with Favor Boxes”. Donations can be dropped off at Barnes Jewelers (502 B. Eastgate Drive Goldsboro) 11:30AM-3:30PM Monday-Friday.
- You can donate a loaf of bread through Great Harvest Bread to be used to make sandwiches for school kids and others in need. Loaves are a flat $6 and can be purchased over the phone 919-288-2401 or online under the Breads section: http://goldsboronc.greatharvestbread.com/
- Wayne Pregnancy Center is seeking donations of baby supplies and formula in addition to full-sized toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Please call 919-583-9330 Monday-Thursday 9-5 and Friday 9-12.
- Nonperishable food donations and personal hygiene items are needed by the Salvation Army located at 610 N. William St in Goldsboro during their hours of operation.
- Nonperishable food, fruit, snacks, bottled water, Ziploc bags, disposable takeout containers, face masks and hygiene kits are needed by the Community Soup Kitchen at 112 W. Oak Street during their hours of operation.
- 3HC needs sanitizing wipes, gloves and masks. Please contact [email protected] if you are able to donate.
- Boys & Girls Club of Wayne County is making weekly grab and go activity kits for their members. Donations are being accepted. Please call 919-735-2358 to find out what materials are needed each week and arrange a drop-off.
Community Partner Updates:
- 2-1-1 is a reliable resource to connect residents to social services. It is also the number to call for assistance and resources related to the COVID-19 coronavirus. NC residents can text COVIDNC to 898211 to receive general information and updates about COVID-19.